A five-year-old child is being hailed a hero after he awoke Sunday morning to flames close to his bed and ensured his family of nine evacuated.
Noah Woods, 5, told WSBTV, “I grabbed Lily up, got to the window with Lily, got the dog, and got out.” “That’s all.”
But he went above and above.
On Sunday morning, an electrical fire erupted in Noah’s room, which he shared with his two-year-old sister Lily. When he realized he was in danger, he grabbed his sister and the household dog and dashed to the window.
“5 year old Noah Woods recently woke up to find his bedroom on fire. The only available exit was a window. He got himself and his 2 year old sister out of the window to escape the fire and re entered the house to alert the rest of the family
Thankfully, all nine members of the family got out of the home and with the exception of a small burn on Noah’s wrist, no one was hurt.
“Noah and 4 other family members were treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation … On Friday BCFD Chief Dwayne Jamison will recognize him as an Honorary Bartow County Firefighter and present him with a Lifesaving Award.”
“If it wasn’t for Noah, I mean, we were all asleep, so we wouldn’t have known what was going on,” David Woods, Noah’s grandfather, said. “We could’ve all lost our lives.”
Now the family must rebuild – their home was a complete loss – but at least they’ll be doing it with all members of their family by their side.
“If it wasn’t for Noah, we may not be here today,” David wrote.
Noah, you are a hero. You saved your family’s life. I have no doubt that your community will help you rebuild. Please consider sharing this amazing story on Facebook to honor this clever 5-year-old and his great instinct!